Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Thoughts on Linsanity



I tweeted this link to an article written by Greg Couch, but here it is through another medium.


So, I realized tonight that I hadn't gotten my 5 minimum posts, so here is another. Although I am rather happy to post, as it allows me to give my thoughts about the recent "Linsanity" and my personal biases....

Jeremy Lin is one of 4 Harvard grads to make it to the NBA. (You are, statistically, more likely to become the President of the U.S. than you are to become a professional basketball player if you are someone who graduates from Harvard). His first six games as a professional are among the best in the world.


You can read the article for specifics, and the author does some great analysis that makes you think. For example, Couch wonders, after noting that Lin is an Asian-American, "How many scouts look at a guy like Lin, or even looked at Lin himself, and passed because he didn't look the part? How many college coaches? None offered him a scholarship out of high school...In fact; it makes you wonder how deep these stereotypes sit in our sports psyche. Do parents, who more and more keep specializing their young kids in sports, steer them into stereotypes? How much greatness is missed?"


As someone who loves the world of sports, the game of basketball being the least of possible exceptions, I would hate to imagine being one of those kids that Couch contemplates gets overlooked because of the way he/she looked off the basketball court. It should be your quality of play that determines your basketball respect.

I mean think about how many black basketball players would we never have known unless Jackie Robinson and the color barrier was dropped. Makes you think now "How many Jeremy Lins have we missed during our blind steering toward stereotypes.

I have biases. I don't know if I have acknowledged them in my 4+ posts (or if I ever want to, as I feel that gives them more credibility), but I work all the time to get rid of them. I try always to remember the golden rule.

I had a friend whose dad was a mathematician. He was a great person to talk about because he always formulated his own opinion based off of his personal inquiry and experiences; he never came off as one with preconceived notions. If he wanted to know something about you, he asked nicely. If he wanted to know what you thought about particular subject, he did so cordially. It made me think about how I can be less likely to succumb to my own preconceived notions, because it limits your ability to truly connect with an individual.

I am going to bring this mentality toward my future students, as I've had good time to practice my preach/reflect on my experiences with this gentleman, which has been over a year now since his passing (5+ year bout with cancer).

We need to provide equity in the classroom. Lin was privileged in that he didn't rely on his basketball skills to support himself. He made sure to go to college, something many of our student-athletes forget to do.

I want to educate kids so that they can try to understand this world, and to teach them beliefs need to originate from within, not from media, parents, nor even teachers. Teachers just facilitate the liberating process that is learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment